Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Kayaking @ Kallang

I always thought Kayaking is only for swimmers but when I noticed that there was a Kayak/Canoe Orientation program going on as a promotional activity at the new Sports Hub @ Kallang, I jumped in and the first question I asked that if knowing swimming was a must. When they said it wasn't required, I was exhilarated and signed up for the program(free of cost...hurray!!!)

It was a 3hour orientation program where in they taught how to carry the kayak and how to get into it, the basic moves to pull the kayak forward and the methods of kayaking. All in all it was a fun session where we kayaked for around 2hours around the kallang basin on our own.

Though it was a lot tiring but the exhilaration of trying something new overtook every other emotion and tiresomeness.
There was a group of around 30 people and it was a lot of fun interacting with them.
With our trainer, a funny guy with a funny accent. When I told him that I am not a swimmer, he insisted I learnt swimming and then I can go ahead with the other star courses of Kayaking.
Well, swimming is now on the top of my list of new things to learn.

 

We got to these amazing views of the gardens by the bay and it was such a crazy session where each of our kayaks were hitting with each other, we got wet(there were 2 holes in the kayak to facilitate the buoyancy of the kayak and that made sure we got wet so much as to embarrass ourselves, and the worst part I didn't even take additional clothes...phew!!!).

I am not aware if these programs are still ongoing, but you can always rent a kayak and go about the kallang basin and have fun.
Check out the kallang wave mall website for the updates, boat rental and the courses.

1 comment: